Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Exercise helps. Who knew?

Yes folks! It's true! Exercise can really have a positive outcome/result when it comes to relations with the scale! I'm not saying that the exercise was the only contribution to my friendly meeting with the scale today, but it certainly didn't hurt!

So, let's do a bit of catch up. We had a busy weekend. Spent the day with family at Roding (sp?) park in Fresno and had a great time. Then we came home and I made a fabulous Greek layered chicken casserole that my cyber friend "Eggface" had posted. YUM! YUM! YUM! It was fabulous.

On Sunday, we had a little Wii Fit off - the family all came together to see who could be who (or get #1 spot) on the different games. It was fun.

Sunday afternoon, once we got home, was when everything seemed to go haywire. I went to turn on my desktop computer and NOTHING. No, really, it sounded like it was on, it looked like the tower was on, but no monitor, no mouse, no response. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, did all sorts of trouble shooting, Nothing! I think I may have lost my computer. ICK!!!! That had some good stuff on it. I don't know why I have to be an idiot and not back it up like suggested. I suck! From that point on in the afternoon, it seemed like everything just crumbled. I was anxious to get to bed and hopefully start over!

So, Monday, I was looking forward to (sort of). My son and I had dentist appointments (in Fresno). So, I had to take a half day at work and get in to pick Jacob up early. We had a bit of a rough spot because, naturally, this kid was SCARED to see the dentist. Through a little poking/prodding, we convinced Jacob to just chill and see - when the dentist was done all Jacob could say was, "That's it? That was easy!" Now, why don't they give it a shot before all of the kicking and screaming? I guess they need to make us suffer a little bit before they allow us to believe they are "good" at things?

Well, after that ordeal and a little bit of rest, I got up the courage and energy to have a little one - on - one time with the elliptical trainer. Let's be honest, we don't always get along. But I had worked hard this weekend at convincing myself that the exercise was going to happen. I even got my iPod all charged up and loaded some new stuff so I would have no excuses. So, of course I was going to do it (even though I didn't really want to). And that's what I did.

Here's where the fun came in. It didn't hurt! Not only did it not hurt, the machine didn't squeal (in agony) from me being on it. I haven't been on this machine in about 62 pounds and I really think the machine is grateful. I know they put weight limits on these things, but if they don't want someone over 250 lbs on it, how are we going to get under 250 lbs? Well, I think (even though machines don't have feelings) my machine was happy that I had lost some weight. There was no squeaking/squealing/moaning of the machine. In fact, there was no squeaking/squealing/moaning by me either. Serious! I started with only 25 minutes because I didn't want to keel over in exhaustion, but I could've gone for 40! It felt great!!!! I was so excited! So excited, in fact, that tonight, we're going for 30 minutes! I think I've got a great future of health and exercise ahead of me!

To top it off, I was down on the scale today (I've just got to figure out how to update/change my tracker). So, all in all, it's been a good experiment and now, we're on to bigger and better things. I feel good, I slept good, I'm looking forward to great improvements. More exercise and hopefully more activity and if all goes well (which is looking good right now), I'll be in "onederland" by my Dr's appointment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Squeaky machines are music to the ears! Keep it up, you can make that machine squeal.

Heather said...

I don't want it to squeal! It was squealing because I was too heavy. Seriously, I couldn't make it turn a step without it making a horrible squeal. Now, it just sings with the whoosh of my steps. THAT is music to my ears! I'd be much happier if I was able to work so hard that I wore the machine out. Maybe in the next 3 - 5 years?? :-)