Friday, February 6, 2009

Not your typical Friday . . .

I typically like to update my successes on Friday. Today, I'm sad to report that I don't feel the successes right now. I'm just in a bit of a funk today. It's been a very tough week but a decent week at the same time.

I have been dealing with issues of snacking. I don't think I'm truly hungry, but my body/brain is telling me that I am. I have this insatiable feeling that I have to fill and then I'll take a few bites of something (sometimes a little bit more) and it's NOT what I want. But the problem is that the feeling comes back just a little while later. I found myself going CRAZY on Wednesday. It was as if I couldn't stop and I couldn't figure it out. Then, I realized, I was eating/craving/wanting out of stress. I wanted something to take away the feelings I was dealing with and in the past food was my friend and would make it all go away (if only for a short while). But now, I don't have that! I need to stop feeding my feelings and acting like I don't have to solve the problem. I DO have to solve the problem. This is a new task and challenge for me and I will face it fully.

The good news is that this behavior didn't carry over to Thursday and I haven't had these feelings today either. Maybe it was just the frustration of the job/co-workers? Stress of disappointment due to the non-moving scale? Fear that I've hit the stopping point of weight loss before I'm ready. Whatever it was/or is, it needs to be faced and dealt with. That is my intention. I will look this demon in the face and punch it's lights out!

I've also decided that I need a "picture" or a vision of what I'm working toward. Unfortunately, I've never been there, so I don't know what the vision will be like. I'm already so much farther than I thought I would be. I don't even recognize myself. But I want to not recognize myself more. I just need to be able to see it. This is another thing I will be working towards. I'll have to get really creative on this one.

On the happier side of things, I've got a few things to look forward to (I'm with Laurie, I like bullets too):
  • I'm going to be checking in with the local gym in the next week or so. This should help me on so many levels - and my son is excited about going too.
  • I have a date tomorrow afternoon with a doctor! Yep, I'm a little intimidated, but excited at the same time.
  • I've got a few celebrations this month and I'm looking forward to February being a healthier and better month than January.
  • I've got to take some pictures! As of February 22, it's been 9 months since my ride began!
So, when the funk subsides, I've got some serious things to focus on! Time to dance it all away! Care to join me?

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Don't let the fact that you've never been there stop you!! Sometimes you just need to replace old habits with new ones... maybe instead of looking for food, take a drink of water and walk outside (or around the office) searching for litter or recycling. 5 or 10 minutes of clean up should help you get your mind off habitual eating. Soon you will be looking for litter when you're stressed and wondering why you became a neat freak all of a sudden.

If you are having problems thinking about what you are going to look like, just imagine things that you notice now disappearing instead... you know stuff you've mentioned before... legs crossing, no skin touching... stuff like that. These are all things I've done in the past... and should start doing again... food for thought!

She

Heather said...

Thanks She! These are really great suggestions! I will have to implement some of these ideas and I'll let you know how they go.

Good ideas about the current dislikes disappearing. Maybe I can map it out or get a photo thing like we did on Lindora.

Let's do them again!!!!

Kim H. said...

I've been there - the non moving scale sucks and it totally messes with your eating... I've tried everything, and the best thing you can do is:
1) shock your system by going back to protein supplements for a day or two
2) kick up the water consumption a lot
3) do a hard workout and tell your body that you are in control.

Hang in there - it'll start moving again soon. Maybe it just needed some time to play catch up.

Heather said...

Thank you Kim! I will try all of your suggestions. I'm sure it's just a phase, but it's a tough one to get through.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes!
Have a great day!