Friday, June 5, 2009

Many thanks . . .

I must start out by saying "Thank you SO much" for the prayers and the well wishes! The surgery was a success. Of course, it was a bit of torture yesterday and re-cooperating today, but all in all, a success!

So, I have learned that I CAN go an entire day without eating or drinking ANYTHING! I'm not going to say I liked it, but it can be done! Yesterday the surgery schedule changed about 4 times. Where I was supposed to go in at 9:30am, they ended up taking me in at 3:30 pm. Quite different than what I had expected. But, it was something we had to do. My sister gave me a hard time about the fact that I was joking with my surgeon about how long it was taking. She definitely thought I should've done that AFTER he cut me open! Next time, I guess. I just feel fortunate that I have a great surgeon that I feel comfortable joking with and I know that I'm in good hands!

Anyway, the good news to report . . . NO hernias! No strangulation or kinks either. He did move some things around in there and said that it may take care of the problem. So, now we just wait and see. When the surgeon came out and talked to my family, they said that I was doing beautifully, healing beautifully, and my hard work and dedication was evident. Now, if that doesn't make your day, I don't know what will. Even though he didn't say those things to me, it made me feel very good about this whole process. I AM a success!!!

The bad news . . . I decided to weigh myself yesterday when I got home. I knew it was going to be disappointing and so I really am not taking it into consideration, but I gained 6 pounds from 8am to 8pm and I didn't even get to eat anything ALL DAY!!! Sort of funny. I'll be back to normal before you know it! Hopefully, even lower by Tuesday?? :-)

So now, I get to rest and re cooperate from the surgery. I must say, this was a BREEZE compared to the bypass! I don't get to shower until tonight and I'm restricted from driving a car or making any important decisions for 24 hours. Bummer! I guess someone else gets to decide what we eat for dinner (giggle, giggle).

I just wanted to make sure that I sent an update in case you were curious. All is well and getting better by the moment. I will say, the super-yum-delicious chocolate-peanut butter-banana protein shake is making a world of difference! And I'm not even being sarcastic! This stuff is GREAT!

Happy FRIDAY!!!!


Kim H. said...

Glad to hear you are doing well... rest up!

Tiff said...

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Don't sweat the six pounds.

During my gastric bypass procedure, they had me lying on a "high tech" bed that had a built in scale. I remember thinking that this bed was the COOLEST thing as they weighed me ten minutes prior to surgery.

They wheeled me to the OR, and when I woke up in the recovery room, I remember someone weighing me again? I'd weighed 8 pounds more than I did before.....

Even through the morphine .... I was upset by this weight gain - I called out to a nurse "That has to be wrong - the weight - I weighed less this morning" ....

One of the nurses tried to explain to me that it was water weight due to the fluids used during the procedure....

I was too "drugged up" to remember the specifics.... but, I wanted to share .... for encouragement that those six pounds will go away!!!

Most importantly, Glad you are doing well!!!